Excellence in Perioperative Nursing Individual Award
The Excellence in Perioperative Nursing (EiPN) Individual Award is presented to an ACORN member who has made an outstanding contribution to perioperative nursing.
The award is one of high profile recognition with no monetary value. However, the recipient will be entitled to complimentary registration and complimentary accommodation for two nights for the ACORN conference.
The award is presented at the biennial national conference where the recipient receives the EiPN perpetual medallion with their name bar added to the ribbon. The recipient will also receive a personal medal and certificate and automatic recognition as a Fellow of the college.
The perpetual medallion is retained for two years and returned to the ACORN Secretariat prior to the next biennial national conference.
The nomination is made by a Local Association or by the ACORN board.
Nominations close on 30 January of the conference year.
The nominee must have current full membership of their state or territory Local Association.
The nominee must demonstrate:
- an active involvement in perioperative nursing
- leadership in perioperative nursing
- an involvement in evidence-based research that supports, modifies and updates the ACORN standards
- an involvement in broadening ACORN's membership base to include all nurses who practice perioperative procedures
- an ability to promote perioperative nursing and enhance recruitment to the specialty
- an outstanding contribution at state, national or international level.
For more details, download the Nomination guidelines from the link below.
The call for nominations will be advertised in the journal in the spring issue prior to the conference and emailed to the Local Associations in the October prior to the conference.
Nominations must be made on the designated nomination form and:
- address the selection criteria
- have two signatures of reference
- include a statement detailing specifics of the outstanding contribution the nominee has made to perioperative nursing.
Nomination forms must arrive at the ACORN Secretariat no later than 31st January of the year of the national conference (for consideration at the board meeting in February) and include all information requested. Late or incomplete forms will not be considered.
To download the Nomination form click on the link below.
The recipient will be chosen by a selection panel made up of the Award Chair and three board members, selected by the current president. The Award Chair is the immediate past-president of the College.
Note: If any member of the selection panel is nominated for this award the member must either decline the nomination or withdraw from the selection panel.
- Copies of nomination forms and selection criteria will be forwarded electronically or by express post to the selection panel prior to the February board meeting.
- Nominations are given a score out of 200. Only nominations that score 150 or above are considered. The award is presented to the nominee with the highest score. (In the event of a tie, the president will cast the deciding vote.) If no nominations score 75 or above, it may be decided that no award will be presented.
- The selection panel completes selection before the February board meeting and makes their recommendation at that meeting for the board to ratify.
The successful nominee will be:
- contacted personally by the president and by letter to formalise the invitation to receive the award
- advised of the details relating to the timing of the award, accommodation and airfares provided.
Nominations remain confidential and unsuccessful nomination forms will be destroyed.
Unsuccessful candidates may be nominated in following years with a new submission form.
Recipients of the award are not eligible for nomination in subsequent years.
EiPN (Individual award) recipients
2004 Menna Davies (NSW)
2006 Dr Judith Berry (SA)
2008 Carollyn Williams (Vic)
2010 Sally Sutherland Fraser (NSW)
2012 Ruth Melville (Qld)
2014 Dr Brigid Gillespie (Qld)
2016 Dr Patricia Nicholson (Vic)
Dr Patricia Nicholson, FACORN, after receiving the 2016 ACORN EiPN Individual Award from ACORN President, Dr Jed Duff