ACORN's vision is for Australian patients to receive the safest and highest quality perioperative care in the world. Upholding standards for practice define us as a community of perioperative nursing professionals dedicated to providing care of a high quality.
The ACORN Standards for Perioperative Nursing in Australia constitutes the specialty knowledge of the perioperative nursing community in Australia and represents the accepted standard for professional practice. Individual standards are regularly reviewed and updated by teams of reviewers according to a rigorous, structured process managed by the Standards Editor and the Standards Committee Chair. The ACORN Standards is held in high esteem by government, industry and the general public.
Accessibility to the Standards is of paramount importance to ACORN so electronic versions of revised or new standards are made available four times a year, as well as the biennial print edition.
What’s new in this 14th edition?
This 14th edition not only has a new look but also incorporates expanded resources to assist users to implement standards of practice in the workplace and engage with contemporary issues related to these standards.
The 14th edition includes two new Guidelines, four revised Standards and two revised Nursing roles.
- Fatigue in the perioperative environment (electronic version released in 2014)
- Perioperative nursing management of posthumous organ procurement (electronic version released in 2016).
- Perioperative attire (electronic version released in 2014)
- Asepsis (electronic version released in 2015)
- Surgical hand antisepsis, gowning and gloving (electronic version released in 2015)
- Management of instrument loan sets and reusable medical devices (electronic version released in 2016).
Revised Nursing roles:
- Post Anaesthesia Care nurse (electronic and print versions released in May 2016)
- Anaesthetic nurse (electronic version released in Nov 2015).
We are actively looking for ways to improve the ACORN Standards and enhance your user experience. Please provide us with your feedback on this edition.