The Australian College of Perioperative Nurses (ACORN) is a registered, member-based, health promotion charity that serves the patient, community and the perioperative profession to promote the prevention and control of disease.
ACORN’s vision is for Australian patients to receive the safest and highest quality perioperative care in the world.
ACORN’s purpose is to:
- set, promote and continually review national ‘best practice’ standards for perioperative services or nursing
- provide a central reference point for, and consultancy service on, perioperative policy, procedures and practice, to assist other organisations and industry stakeholders to advance the health and welfare of the community
- encourage and promote research projects relating to perioperative nursing to assist industry participants in the prevention and control of disease in the community and to increase knowledge and learning in the perioperative nursing field
- promote educational opportunities for perioperative nurses
- hold biennial national conferences to promote best practice and discuss and address current challenges in perioperative nursing practice.
We value the support of our volunteers and partners and achieve results through inclusion and collaboration as we work toward shared goals.
We will fulfill our members’ expectations with integrity and credibility.
We work in partnership with our state-based associations with openness, honesty and respect.
We are professional, transparent and ethical.
We ensure that our services remain contemporary, creative, responsive and effective.
Between now and 2018 ACORN will focus on:
- developing the organisation through good governance and investment in developing people, structures and resources
- consolidating and expanding services through building strength and unity, facilitating the efforts of our local associations and promoting best-practice standards, education and services to further the prevention or control of disease
- leading and advocating on behalf of our members and the profession as the peak body for perioperative nursing
- strengthening partnerships and collaboration through formalising arrangements with our existing partners and forging new ones with key stakeholders in Australia and abroad
- increasing and diversifying financial support, in order to achieve our purpose, through raising awareness of perioperative nurses.
- maintaining Deductable Gift Recipient (DGR) status through complying with all Australian Charities and Not for Profit Commission (ACNC) requirements.