ACORN's COVID-19 advice to members and stakeholders
ACORN is carefully monitoring the global evolution of the COVID-19 pandemic. Changes and developments in Australian COVID activity, guidance and clinical practice are regularly being considered and where relevant ACORN is making updates in its advice for Australian perioperative nurses. ACORN is also continuing its collaborative efforts with peak nursing and perioperative stakeholders and professional bodies to ensure that the needs and concerns of perioperative nurses including ACORN members remain well represented. ACORN's leadership and staff are grateful for the patience and understanding extended to them during this period of uncertainty. On behalf of ACORN's members we particularly offer best wishes, gratitude and encouragment to Victoria's perioperative and other nursing staff, all of whom are directly and deeply affected by the unrelenting nature of COVID-19 in that state.
As part of its member commitment ACORN provides regularly updated links to important resources to support decision-making in your perioperative practice. If you have additional requests or specific local resources you would like to share with other ACORN members please feel free to make a submission at www.acorn.org.au/concerns.
ACORN recommends members follow the Australian government's advice and regular updates available at www.health.gov.au
ACORN encourages you to continue to care for yourselves and your peers during this time and thanks you for your ongoing contribution to advance safe and quality perioperative nursing care for Australians.
ACT - (https://health.act.gov.au/health-professionals/chief-health-officer-alerts)
NSW - (https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/Infectious/covid-19/Pages/default.aspx)
NT - (https://coronavirus.nt.gov.au/stay-safe/if-you-are-unwell)
QLD - (https://www.qld.gov.au/health/conditions/health-alerts/coronavirus-covid-19/take-action/testing-and-fever-clinics)
SA - (www.sahealth.sa.gov.au/healthalerts)
TAS - (https://www.coronavirus.tas.gov.au/keeping-yourself-safe/testing-for-covid19)
VIC - (https://www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/health-services-and-general-practitioners-coronavirus-disease-covid-19)
WA - (https://www.healthywa.wa.gov.au/sitecore/content/Corporate/Articles/A_E/Coronavirus/COVID19-information-for-health-professionals)
Australian Government Health Department
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) resources for health professionals, including aged care providers, pathology providers and healthcare managers
- Australian Government Infection Control Expert Group (ICEG) endorsed infection control guidance
- Guidance on the use of personal protective equipment by health care workers in areas with significant community transmission
- ICEG guidelines on cleaning and disinfection of face shields
- Are cloth face masks likely to provide protection against COVID-19?
- When should masks be worn in the community, in Australia?
- Wearing a mask (video) (download)
- Do I need to wear a mask? (infographic)
- The use of face masks and respirators in the context of COVID-19
- Guidance on the use of personal protective equipment (PPE) in hospitals during the COVID-19 outbreak
- Guidelines for infection prevention and control in residential care facilities
- Guidance on use of personal protective equipment (PPE) in non-inpatient health care settings, during the COVID-19 outbreak
- Environmental cleaning and disinfection principles for health and residential care facilities
- Information about routine environmental cleaning and disinfection in the community
- Advice for funeral directors
Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19): CDNA National Guidelines for Public Health Units (Current version: 3.6, published 31 July 2020. Available as PDF and Word.)
- Personal protective equipment (PPE) for the health workforce during COVID-19
- COVID-19 infection control training
- NHMRC Australian Guidelines for the Prevention and Control of Infection in Healthcare (2019)
- Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Health Care (ACSQHC) National Safety and Quality Health Service Standards (2017)
Self-care and support
Now more than ever it is especially important to look after yourself. Below is a webinar from Nurse and Midwife Support looking at ways to look after yourself during the pandemic.
Please take care of yourself and each other in these challenging times.
ACORN would like to remind you of free support available from Nurse & Midwife Support who offer free and confidential services for nurses and midwives across Australia.
Nurse and Midwife Support provide 24/7 telephone and email support, as well as information on their website and social media accounts focusing on supporting and improving the health and wellbeing of nurses, midwives and students.
Please call 1800 667 877 or visit their website www.nmsupport.org.au.
Click here to listen to a podcast from Nurse and Midwife Support 'Dealing with stress in a crisis' or learn more by watching any of the videos below.
Videos and webinars
Dr Nick Coatsworth, Deputy Chief Medical Officer, Department of Health and a panel of guest speakers discuss ‘COVID-19, the new normal’.
To assist members working in perioperative settings we recommend the following Department of Health video (released 1 April 2020).
ACORN will continue to provide members with updates via our Facebook and Instagram accounts and through this website www.acorn.org.au as new information and advice is released.
We recognise that this is a significantly challenging time for our members, colleagues and key stakeholders.
Page last updated: 10 August 2020