Nominations for the 2020 Judith Cornell Orator are now open.
The Judith Cornell Oration is a biennial event initiated by ACORN in 2002. It is intended to serve as an occasion of celebration for the achievements of Australian perioperative nurses and to allow future visions to be shared.
Orators are distinguished perioperative nurses who, throughout their careers, have made a significant contribution to advancing perioperative nursing in Australia.
The oration will be held at the opening session of the ACORN 2020 Conference in Sydney on Thursday 28 May 2020.
The appointment is one of high profile recognition with no monetary value. The orator will receive a personal medallion.
The orator shall also be entitled to complimentary registration, flights to the conference and two night’s complimentary accommodation at the conference.
Nominations must reach the ACORN office by 31 October 2019.
Nomination and selection guidelines
Local associations (LAs) nominate candidates via a letter from the LA president. The letter must:
- be received by the ACORN office no later than 31 October in the year preceding the national conference for consideration at the following board meeting
- include details of the outstanding contribution the nominee has made to perioperative nursing
- address the selection criteria.
The nominee must have current full membership of their state or territory LA.
The orator must demonstrate:
active involvement in perioperative nursing
leadership in perioperative nursing
promotion of ACORN Standards and other ACORN activities
involvement in evidence-based research that supports, modifies and updates the ACORN Standards
involvement in broadening ACORN's membership base to include all nurses who practice perioperative procedures
ability to promote perioperative nursing that enhances recruitment to the specialty
a period of outstanding contribution at state, national or international level.
The successful nominee will:
- be contacted personally by the president and by letter to formalise the invitation to give the Judith Cornell Oration
- be advised of details relating to the timing of the oration, accommodation and airfares provided.