Standards for Perioperative Nursing in Australia
Australian patients deserve to receive the safest and highest quality, evidence-based care during their perioperative journey. This is achieved by the dedicated, knowledgeable and skilled Australian perioperative nurses and interdisciplinary team members implementing The New ACORN Standards.
The New ACORN Standards outline the standardised professional and clinical perioperative practice which Australian interdisciplinary perioperative teams should provide. The New ACORN Standards consist of Professional Practice Standards for Perioperative Nurses and Standards for Safe and Quality Care in the Perioperative Environment.
The New ACORN Standards are further divided into standards for organisations and individuals to provide specific and comprehensive guidance.
- Standards for Safe and Quality Care in the Perioperative Environment (SSQCPE) for Individuals
- Standards for Safe and Quality Care in the Perioperative Environment (SSQCPE) for Organisations
- Professional Practice Standards for Perioperative Nurses (PPSPN) for Individuals
- Professional Practice Standards for Perioperative Nurses (PPSPN) for Organisations
Within these volumes, each standard is mapped against the National Safety and Quality Health Service Standards (NSQHS Standards) ensuring that when perioperative practitioners comply with the ACORN Standards, they not only meet but exceed the NSQHS Standards.
The standards are based on the latest highest quality evidence with input from perioperative experts within the clinical field. This, together with member engagement, ensures standards that are truly applicable to current clinical perioperative practice in the variety of perioperative and procedural care settings that exist across Australia.
The New ACORN Standards are now available.
- Standards for Organisations are available the same way as you accessed the 16th edition Standards OR can be purchased as a subscription from the Standards shop
- Standards for Individuals are available via the Member Jungle app on your preferred iOS or android device, only if you are an ACORN member, fellow or affiliate member as a member benefit. If you would like access become a member now
The ACORN Practice Audit Tools (PATs) are available online as a subscription from the ACORN PATs page.
ACORN always welcomes your feedback. If you have feedback about the ACORN Standards or the PATs, please submit your feedback.
ACORN Standards Officer